August 23, 2008

Whatchoo Talkin Bout?

I've been meaning for a long time to write a post with precious things the boys say. I started a list and then forgot to add to it very often... but I thought I'd least share a little and those of you who have interaction with my kids might be able to add a few more sweet or funnies in the comments.

Insight from Isaac:
(While "helping" dig up the roses) "I was just seeing what you were doing, Dad. I've got to get back to work."

"Working is fun, just like soccer."

(Reporting on his hectic day) "I was so busy with fun things I guess I forgot which was my favorite."

(His slightly older friend comes over for a playdate, just barely in the door...) "Sit here, I want to read you this story." (proceeds to read him a library book!)

When we celebrated Charlie's birthday in McCall, Isaac was so pleased because his own last birthday was celebrated there as well and, he said, "This is a great idea because it's just like how we were born in the same place!"

Recently, he loves renting The Universe (television series on The History Channel) that my dad recommended to us during his visit this spring. So now we're getting astronomical tidbits passed on to us excitedly over dinner or just inserted into conversation. While reading Guess How Much I Love You tonight as his chosen bedtime story (it ends with the little bunny deciding that loving to the moon is the farthest), Isaac says, "But I guess he doesn't know that the moon isn't nearly as far away as another planet, or the sun, or even another galaxy! And really we can't measure love like that anyway."

Some gems from Sam:
(Praying, obviously) "We thank thee for the breakfast. Thank thee that we can be good. Thank thee for my blue fork. Thank thee for my orange cup. Thank thee that the prayer could be over. In the name of... Amen."

"Grandma [Dame] can help us because she has strong, um, hair!"


(Arguing about the orange juice that's in a square carton) "It is orange milk!" (Isaac's reply: "But you see Sam, it doesn't have a picture of a cow on it. Just an orange.")

(While excusing him from the table, we warn Sam he must finish his dinner later if he gets hungry, no treats) "But I did eat my dinner, see, it's all gone!" (Sam, we can see your plate right in front of us, full of food) "No, I ate it all, you're just looking wrong."

My favorite Sam-invented word: to hookle or be hookled-up. Can be used in place of all of the following words: attach, buckle, tape, staple, hook, hitch, trapped, strapped, caught, tied, bound and probably more.

One of his sweetest talents is making up songs. Tonight he wanted to sing "his" song to Charlie for bedtime (made up spur-of-the-moment, of course). I couldn't quite tell what tune he was following but it ended with "And I love you Charlie so now you can go to sleep."

Charlie?
His only consistent words are: hi, mom, up, yeah, dada, and a terrifying scream of protest that means "no." (In calmer moods, he shakes his head.) Charlie also does a fake cough to indicate "dog" and says a sweet "ow" for cat. And of course he chatters on with many expressive gestures & facial features but no recognizable words. Clearly he understands everything we say and is really good at getting me to do what he wants.

4 comments:

  1. Love the comment about the dinner plate. Sounds just like Sam to me! Hilarious!

    Tonight as we were saying goodbye to Gma and Gpa Grace told them that when they come next time she will be older and bigger and nicer. Boy, won't that be the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm going to start using hookle. It sounds just like him! And I love how Isaac is so politely smart, explaining about the OJ, and about Mars to Dan (i loved that in the earlier post!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post!
    I love Sam's prayer. But my favorite has to be hookle. It's so descriptive. Isaac seems VERY smart for his age!

    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got a call-in reminder of a fantasticly frustrating (at the time) and funny phase that Sam went through: he would answer all of his own requests (i.e. "Can I have some ice cream?") with "The answer is YES!" Trying to instruct and intimidate us... Didn't work much but man the gumption! That tactic only last a couple of (long) weeks.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.