December 13, 2007

The Beginning of the Middle

I'm a Mormon, Libertarian, homeschooling, mom of four amazing little boys and wife to a humble, hardworking, handsome man. I have a voracious reading habit, prefer natural & alternative healing practices, and have a passion for travel and photography (both together and separately). A Seattlite by birth, I've also lived in Provo, Utah, London, England, and Curitiba, Brazil. Idaho is home now.

Assuming the best, I could live to be 90 or older, right? So I figure I'm in the middle third of my life now - though I think I need two more decades before I'll call myself "middle aged." ANYWAY, starting this blog is the beginning of making a public record (i.e. fool) of myself/my musings/my darling boys... An autobiography that is starting in the middle.

About the blog title, It's from one my favorite parts of my favorite novel, Les Miserables. It comes along very early in the story, chapter IV: Madeleine In Mourning, where Hugo waxes on particularly beautifully about true happiness and love. The original meaning of the section is to describe the relationship between the dear, blind Bishop of Digne and his sister but it speaks to me quite deeply about my relationship with my Savior, and at the same time it applies well to marriage and my relationship with Mark.


Here is a longer excerpt:

"To have continually at your side a... charming being, who is there because you need her, and because she cannot do without you, to know you are indispensable to someone necessary to you; to see the thought if not the face; to be sure of the fidelity of one being at the eclipse of the world... few joys can equal that. The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves - say rather, loved in spite of ourselves."

The little phrase I stole for my blog boils it all down to be about family and friends - how we feel about each other, how I feel about my so-blessed life. This is for my own records and I share with all those that love me (and my little blog) in spite of ourselves.