Isaac is now officially a kindergartener. His teacher is Mrs. Lewellen and he knows two boys in his class, Simon from preschool and Joey from church, so he was happy about that. He's excited about having a new library to get books from, a really cool music class, and he's ready to see what else kindergarten holds in store. (I still believe he's more suited for first grade - at least - but we'll see how things go...)
The first day is "Buddy Breakfast" for the a.m. kindergarten. The parents can walk them into the cafeteria for a free breakfast and the children are encouraged to bring a "buddy" from home. Funny thing is that Isaac's comforter is actually named Buddy. Then they lined up and followed their teacher to the classroom (parents not aloud to follow). Isaac's waving in the last one: See ya!


Even though we live within
two miles of the school (doesn't that seem extremely far for even like a third grader to walk?), the nice man in charge of district transportation has scheduled in a stop for Isaac so he can take the bus home. That took a few days of wrangling (they make exceptions like this for kindergarten only), but worth it as this was what Isaac had to say as he got into the car after his first morning of school: "There are mosquitoes here, Mom! Right here where I had to wait for you. School was nice, until the end. Now it hurts and I'm itchy.
Why couldn't I take the bus home?!?"
So today was the Isaac's first day on Bus 9. Charlie came outside to wait with me for Isaac's arrival. I had my camera ready, so why not warm up with some portraits of my baby?
Then the bus came!!

Isaac gave the bus riding experience two thumbs up.
Another child growing up so fast...
Yesterday at the library
Sam shouts to Miss Wendy, the storytime lady, "That books says CATS, it says I LIKE CATS!!" Which, in fact, it does say. This is not the very first time it has happened but it's new enough that I still went into a tiny bit of shock. When did my 4-yr-old learn to read? (Truth is he just has a lot of memorized words; he still can't technically read.)
I am so proud of my big-little boys!
Glad things went so smoothly! What a big little guy! Awesome that they made a bus stop for him!
ReplyDeleteI can't believe how fast they grow up. A kindergartener? My oldest son missed the cut-off date to start kindergarten by seven days. I let him wait. It was a great choice for a boy. He was the oldest in his classes all through school, and had a maturity that other boys lacked. It worked out for him. My second son started kindergarten as a six year old, they kept him after the other kids went home at noon to attend the first grade math class. When first grade came, they tested him and he scored 4.6, which is the level a fourth grader six months into his year would test. The school skipped Clark to second grade. Then he was the youngest and smartest kid in class. He did alright academically, but many kids made fun of him as the "smartest" kid. Each options has challenges. Parents can do so much to challenge and assist their children at home in the evenings and weekends. Most of my kids could read before they began school. You and Mark are being great parents.
ReplyDeleteDitto on the "You and Mark are being great parents." Thanks for the photos. I am sitting here blubbering over "my" (grand)baby's first day of school. The world will never be the same!
ReplyDeleteAs far as Sammy reading goes, I had a sneaking suspicion he was a sleeper. We definitely need to keep an eye (and ear) on him. ;)
Hugs to all the boys, big and small.