December 29, 2012

Christmastime!

December is such a festive, wonderful month! Mark took me to dinner and to see Life of Pi for our anniverasry (end of November). LOVED the movie (about equal to the book - I think that's a first). We went to Seattle and got to spend some much needed time bonding with my family.

For my birthday, we took Isaac out with us to dinner and bowling (and then desert too). We owed him a date night with us since his birthday (in September) so it was perfect! My fab (flubber) friend Katee wanted to make me dinner for my birthday, so I roped her into just having us over one night so we could enjoy each others' company along with the food. Received a DVD, books, a bracelet, lotion, a sweater, coat & tights from friends & loved ones. My moved-to-Twin Falls bestie cut my hair gratis for my birthday. I also gave myself the present of a gym membership and started going to a wonderful Yoga practice that my friend Allison leads there.

Our ward had a Relief Society (women's group) activity with lots of treats and a class on making traditional gingerbread houses. My sweet friend who taught the class brought my family homemade gingerbread cutouts to build two little homes. I got lazy about the frosting & decorations and tried to use what I had in the cupboard, but it was great fun.
All month I did a question/scripture-search advent calendar with the boys. It was approximately Charlie-level so I need to come up with something better next year. I also semi-planned 12 Days of Service in honor of the Savior, but what we ended up with was about four great days of thoughtful service, petering out as we got busier or moods (mainly mine) swung. I think it did change our attitude sometimes for the better as we were hustling and bustling - the reminder to be thinking of others.

Charlie had his final check-up at the surgeon's office. It was a very personally spiritual day for me, as several prayers were answered in succession. The public one I'll share is that Charlie does not need the chest brace! Perhaps it was the continued prayers of so many friends, but his body miraculously reversed the outward curve the sternum had begun to form and is now in a totally normal position.

Mark & I managed to sneak in another date night, this time with old pals Nate & Leslie. Had a great dinner and conversation at Matsy's. We realized we had never hung out without our kids before!
I spent an evening and an afternoon helping to wrap up special treats for all the children and teachers in the Primary. They turned out really cute! Our ward had a lovely Christmas party the week before the Big Day with a child-reinacted nativity and musical numbers. Mark & our friend Tim performed two traditional songs. Mark also sang with the ward choir on the Sunday before Christmas.

So many dear friends brought over a plate of treats or a thoughtful card, etc. Thank you! I managed to get a Christmas card out, but most of them probably arrived late. Every year it is such a delight to receive cards from distant friends and read the update on their lives. Some letters are done so creatively! Maybe some year I'll manage to include a letter with mine, but no promises. (I do already have a blog after all!)
Christmas Eve we skipped the option of caroling, as fun as that can be, to use my birthday certificate at Tucano's Brazilian Grill (the boys' first time) and check out the lights in downtown Caldwell.
While I had Isaac take this photo for me, David ran off behind and unbeknownst to Mark (who was looking for a garbage can) and I had a panic attack searching the crowd for him... Of course when I got back to the car everyone was in their seats buckled just waiting for me (Mark had seen David and somehow didn't cross paths with me). Maybe it was that adrenalin that kept me going til midnight wrapping presents!
Christmas morning with kids is such a joy! Though every year I struggle more with all things Christmasy-but-not-Christ-centered, including gifts, I have not pondered a better way for our family to celebrate (yet). We were so blessed this year, in so many ways. I know my sweet boys are very grateful for all that they have and all they received.
In the afternoon we headed to Mark's parents' home for dinner with them and two of his sisters and their families. Lots MORE fun, and more hymns too. Phew! This momma was ready for a few days of hibernating but family fun and obligations won out, as we went up to McCall with the extended-family gang for the rest of the week!

3 comments:

  1. Just lovely - Great news about Charlie and the brace - but of course... :) can't wait for David's birthday interview. hint, hint, love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for no brace! I hadn't heard that bit of news yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, goodness! What terrific news!! If you have any ideas on better celebrating Christmas, I'm interested. Although it sounds like you did a much better job than I did. I'll blame it on baby/surgery, but ours was not very service oriented. I kind of felt sick on Christmas knowing it had been so not Christ focused. Next year . . .

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.