Saw that ^ on Pinterest, and knew I had to use it for this post!
One goal I stuck with in 2011 was keeping track of all the books I read. I used Goodreads to rate each book and write a short review so that I could remember why I rated it the way I did. I'm so glad I kept it up! It was something I'd been intending to do for years. For the first time, I have an actual count of how much I've read: 45 books in 12 months! I included books I read to/with the older boys for homeschool. Here's how it breaks down:
11 books with the boys
5 adult contemporary fiction
11 YA fiction
20 non-fiction (13 memoirs/bios, the rest topical, 5 related to education)
1 comic/memoir
2 were re-reads from years past
9 were parts of series
10 were worthy of 5 stars
Obviously, those numbers overlap in some categories. So, what do I recommend (besides just having you follow me on Goodreads)? Well, here's my 5-star list...
For You &/or Your Kids (Deep + Fun Fiction):
Chronicles of Narnia series (the last 3 of which are part of my 2011 tally)
Little Britches: Father and I Were Ranchers
Calvin & Hobbes collections (10th Anniversary is intermingled with memoir)
Change your look on life (Non-fiction):
The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything
Outliers: The Story of Success
Infidel (a prominant Muslim woman's amazing life story)
A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier
The Read-Aloud Handbook
For a Good Time:
The Help
Stories I Only Tell My Friends (for 80s pop culture fans)
The Boy Who Dared
The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks
Andre Agassi's Open
Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother
The Happiness Project
Zoo Story: Life in the Garden of Captives
Adventures of Pinocchio (original by Carlo Collodi)
Your turn: Leave a comment with a book recommend for me!


good job, Kerri! I think I didn't read half that many books last year. One of my all time favorite authors is Kurt Vonnegut Jr. "Cat's Cradle" is my fav of his. i just love his twisted sense of humor. not for everyone though, I am sure.
ReplyDeleteA few books I enjoyed this year:
ReplyDeleteThe Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon
House Rules by Jodi Picoult
Belong to Me by Marissa de Los Santos
The Pact by Jodi Picoult
Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies by Kenneth Bock MD and Cameron Stauth
The Body Toxic by Nena Baker
NurtureShock: New Thinking about Children by PO Bronson and Ashley Merryman
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series
I also enjoyed the help. As far as my favorite reads or recommendations, right now I'm ready The Great And Terrible Series. It's Lds fiction based and I shouldn't fully recommend it until I've read them all but so far I'm more than halfway through the first one and its pretty good so far. Thanks for your list I now have some more books on my goals to read list!
ReplyDelete