Our tree Christmas Eve/early Christmas morning.
We have a few Christmas traditions, such as: We add a new Christmas book to the collection each year and enjoy re-reading them all each December. We read from Isaiah, Luke, Matthew, and 3 Nephi about the birth of the Savior and His mission, and we read the entirety of Dicken's A Christmas Carol. We sing carols A LOT and listen to Handel's Messiah.
We did not make gingerbread houses this year, which disappointed Sam and I feel bad about it. We did enjoy eating all the treats brought our way by kind friends and neighbors -- and my brother's girlfriend. Delicious! And of course, we watched all our favorite Christmas movies, which most definitely included The Grinch (both versions), and "Frosty Man" as David calls that jolly, happy soul. We have a new tradition now, too, thanks to an early gift from Mark's sister Sharee: nativity hand puppets!
When it comes to Christmas, the kids know the true meaning and purpose. This year in fact, Isaac and Sam started out the season saying they had everything they needed and weren't going to ask for anything! (They managed to come up with several ideas when prompted by frequent inquiries, however. Why can't adults think of better conversation with kids besides "What do you want Santa to bring you"?) Anyhow, the dears are pretty easy to shop for since they don't have expensive taste or a lot of demands and their mom needs to learn the principle "less is more" when it comes to giving, sometimes, but I had fun. Mark even helped with at least half the wrapping this year!
I wanted to just enjoy the day with my family and so I only had the camera out for a few present openings and then set it aside.
We also went to church, since Christmas fell on the Sabbath this year, where Mark and I both were able to participate in special musical numbers. I was really grateful to have been asked - it was an enjoyable challenge to practice and perform my heart out. (Sarah Stice, Angie Barlow, Ashley Smith, myself, Tim Davis, and Mike Mahler, accompanied by Jill Stephens, sang "The Hands that First Held Mary's Child") Mark had a short solo during a hymn with the ward choir.
After church, we grabbed some gifts and a couple side dishes and headed to Mark's sister Val's place for the big family dinner. The food was great, the time with family even better. No one has better in-laws than me! Bonus was to have Jon and Harsh with us for the holiday from BYU. (Wish I would have gotten the camera out at least once with everyone there.) The best present I received was the peace in my heart, knowing the Savior lives and loves us and we are on the path to be with Him again someday.
For now, Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!







thanks for sharing all the fun. we look forward to being able to share another Christmas with your family sometime soon. I know what you mean about in-laws - I always enjoyed your dad's family gatherings.
ReplyDelete