The memoirs of a bookwormy, snap-happy, travel loving, peace seeking mom in a voluntarist, unschooling, family.
November 20, 2011
Around the House
You can tell by the cover of the atlas that I have not flipped this image... I came in the playroom one recent afternoon to find Charlie spelling with these blocks. He wrote his name just about perfectly - if you are looking in a mirror that is! I was really impressed. He has gone from not caring much about letters beyond the alphabet song to knowing them all and their sounds and CONSTANTLY wanting to spell things. The next day he did this again and it was in the standard orientation. He has quickly moved on from this laborious writing process to spelling with the little alphabet blocks David received for his birthday last year. He has continued to be creative though - beyond the standard substitute upside-down "w" for "m" to using an upside down "j" when he needed another "r" among others. It is so exciting to have another of my children learning to - and loving to - read!
Then there's something that my boys are embarrassingly behind on: bike riding. Charlie would love to, but he's been artificially held back by having two older brothers who are both terrified of even trying. It's kind of weird, truthfully. Mark & I want to push them, but seriously TERROR. So we were delighted when Isaac got a little practice & peer pressure at a cub scout meeting recently - and even more so when Grandpa stopped by the next day and convinced him to try again with his and Mark's help. Sam could not be persuaded.
Speaking of pride vs. embarrassment, our ward held it's annual Cub Scout Fundraiser Dinner & Auction recently. Isaac (mostly) made the brownies for the auction and when it came his turn to select something from the table of goodies he picked his own, and told the emcee. (Typically the deserts are anonymous to protect feelings.) The emcee got a little chuckle over that, but I thought it was sweet (most kids pick what they want their parents to bid on). Then it was my turn for a giggle as Isaac was interviewed a bit more and said, when asked his favorite activities, that he likes "playing sports and video games." It's definitely true, but so not what I think of as representing my Isaac!
Sam was excited to finally have a good leaf raking/pile jumping day, now that the painting is finished. Charlie loved it too; David not so much. Mark kind of forced him into the leaves, poor kid.
David certainly didn't have to be forced into painting with Charlie, however! The two of them got a lot of paper wet and had a seriously good time concentrating on their art.
Lastly, my fellow homeschooling mom Katee got myself and Rachel to start a science co-op. Katee did two lessons this month on the scientific method, complete with cool experiments involving the states of water and the progress of bread mold. I'm in charge in November, with plans to focus on some of the senses of the human body (hearing, sight, touch, taste). I love this addition to our school routine!
P.S. With Mark's blessing and an EIN from the feds, I have started a small portrait business. Someday I'll get a website up and link it but for now I'm too busy with clients in my spare time!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)













well they come by the bike-phobia through me, I'm guessing - lol. It is funny how Sam is the biggest scardy-cat - a la swimming lessons. Hard to believe Charlie is so grown up - but they do that... thanks Kerri!
ReplyDelete