September 11, 2010

Isaac's First-Ever Birthday Bash

We decided that since turning 8 is a big deal in our religion, the age where one is mature and responsible enough to decide to be baptized, that it was also the age at which a true with-friends birthday party was requisite. I had Isaac help me plan it - a soccer themed party of course! - and then I stressed out over making sure it was super fun for Isaac and his guests. I seriously lucked out with a friend who lent me her soccer cake form and donated soccer candy decorations. I also owe a debt of gratitude to my brother who finished frosting the cake and did all the cupcakes while I ran to get balloons filled with helium and pick up the pizzas morning-of.



We invited 8 boys and got 7 attendees, plus Isaac and Sam of course. Dan helped keep Charlie out of the way while I directed the festivities and dealt with the food. Mark was in charge of the first and main activity: soccer!


Goal!!!!!! It was a fun game for all, and a close match-up.
After all that exercise, the boys crowded around the table for some pizza. They entertained themselves well, telling jokes and enjoying the pure boyness of the environment, I think.



The kids were actually less interested in their cake and (rocky road) ice cream than in getting back to something active so with many frosting-removed cupcakes left on the table, we quickly got to the present unwrapping. They crowded around Isaac and wouldn't sit still, so full of enthusiasm for seeing what he got.


Then the boys were set free in the backyard where they used the tire swing as a divider between the jungle-gym and sandbox, as good-guy and bad-guy territories. I think they could have played like that happily for a couple of hours but parents began arriving for pick-up shortly. The guests each recieved a gift bag containing a gold medal, a soccer-ball-looking hackey sack, a whistle, and some candy. I meant to pass out a soccer coloring page we had printed out in case there was extra time but instead Sam & Isaac had fun coloring them while the adults cleaned up after it was all said & done.

Then Isaac opened his presents from the family, including two tickets to the sold-out Sounders vs. Real Salt Lake game to attend while in Seattle the following week. This from Uncle Dan, along with some great Sounders paraphernalia.


By all accounts, it was a successful party and a great 8th birthday.