And another thing: I don't do it alone. Mark is awesome at spontaneously teaching the kids. Whether it's sight words, math, scriptures or science he always makes it into a game or a "challenge" and they eat it up. One recent morning he left some equations on the white board and challenged the boys to show him their answers when he got home. I couldn't get them very interested until it was almost dinnertime and they knew he'd be coming in the door soon, but then they were ready. That's pretty much how our homeschool rolls: they need to be interested or there's no point. Sometimes they get frustrated (Mark doesn't care one whit about chronological order of teaching math), but I like to use manipulatives (often our abacus) or we just talk through the logical possible ways they can approach a problem until they figure out how to solve it. (And if they get it wrong, we tell them and they try again - usually seeing their mistake right away.) So here is the results of that impromptu math assignment

Sam is adorably still working on writing his numbers and letters correctly. He told us that his "Six looks like a 'd' but that's okay." We were especially impressed with Isaac figuring out his last equation... he thought it was "funny" but somehow he decided that it had to be less than zero all on his own. And that is another benefit of our random method: we are constantly being amazed at the things the boys already understand and are reaffirmed that our kids would not benefit from a standard grade-level-equivalent curriculum.
So anyway, YES, we are doing homeschool during the summer, but don't worry about them being too stressed out. For them, learning is just FUN. And so is being their teacher.
So anyway, YES, we are doing homeschool during the summer, but don't worry about them being too stressed out. For them, learning is just FUN. And so is being their teacher.
Fascinating! There was a point in my elementary education - the dark ages, remember, before electricity - when negative numbers did not exist, and there was nothing lower than zero. I actually fought with my 2nd grade teacher - and she finally capitualted to the point that she said while I "might" be correct, I would have to wait until I was older. One of the reasons I am so glad to see you home-schooling. :)
ReplyDeleteYou have some super smart boys! I am amazed at what you do with them and for them!!!
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome! I didn't realize you homeschooled your boys. (Don't ask me why, it's in your "about"). I've been starting to look into the possibility of homeschooling Isabella. She'll be 3 in the fall, but in NYC slmost all kids in her/our demographic will have begun their formal education. I'm not ready for that. And I'm pretty sure she isn't either. So, I've begun brainstorming ways to teach her, take advantage of all the free/cheap education the city offers (i.e. museums), and add a bit of structure to our lives.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I'm fascinated with homeschooling and I'll probably e-mail you in the next few months with tons of questions!!!
You always impress me!
Kerri-
ReplyDeleteI know we enjoy the opportunity to use big words in each other's company. :) "disingenuous" Congratulations, you got me there! Jen