When we lived in Brazil there were only two brands of diapers available, in very small packages, and both were, I assume, more like the first American prototype of disposable. Which is to say I used them gratefully but longed for and thought I appreciated what we have here in the States. I now know that I have never appreciated disposable diapers as I ought. I am fully aware that these kinds of diapers are on the banned list of all "environmentalists"and because I now, more than ever, looooooove disposable diapers probably labels me an Evil Earth Hater.
Charlie, on the other hand, might be trying to send me a subtle planet-hugging message...
He prefers going natural.
Charlie takes his diaper off every chance he gets (then puts shoes back on - in this case his brother's snow boots)! I wonder if there is any connection between his diaper dislike and his recent favorite book?
He's 26 months old now. If he really wants to be done with diapers, he will be my youngest boy to do so. But I don't think I am ready for the constant viligence (and inevitable accident clean-up) just yet. It's bad enough, really, that I have to read that book every day!


I don't know if disposable diapers were available when my first child was born (1973), because I couldn't afford them if they were. We used cloth diapers. I totally know what you are talking about. Not to mention during the winter months when I couldn't hang the cloth diapers on the line outside to get the sunshine and kill the bacteria on them, even with bleach in the washer at the laundry mat, my sensitive-skinned daughter would get the constant diaper rash and sores on her little tush. It was not pretty. My last two children got to have disposables.
ReplyDeleteAs a grandmother, I am so grateful for disposable diapers. I don't mind changing the diapers when it can be so easily taken care of, never to deal with it again.
Oh, Kerri, I LOVE you!!! LOL I actually used both cloth and disposable. Cloth is fine if you are at home all the time, but not for on the go.
ReplyDeleteThat picture of Charlie is awesome...the boots make it perfect! He'll love that one when he grows up!
ReplyDeleteI am a cloth user by choice. You can still pat me on the back if you want to! We use g diaper covers with cloth inside (no rubber pants for us). We also use biodegradable paper liners on top of the cloth - that way you just dump it in the toilet - no messin' around with that mess! We DO use disposables while we're out running errands or traveling. I appreciate them. But really, the cloth are no big deal. Soft on our earth, our budget, and our baby's bum :)
ReplyDeleteMy tidbit would be:
Hooray for amazing friends like you who actually tackled the cloth diapers! I never expect babysitters to do the cloth.
:)
PS
ReplyDeleteLOVE the blog makeover!
The best way to clean cloth diapers is to pre-rinse them off in the toilet using a Hand Bathroom Bidet Sprayer. So convenient and if you are trying to help the environment (and your pocket book) you can give it a double whammy by virtually eliminating toilet paper use at the same time as you benefit from using it on the diapers, by using it on yourself. I think Dr. Oz on Oprah said it best: "if you had pee or poop on your hand, you wouldn't wipe it off with paper, would you? You'd wash it off" Available at www.bathroomsprayers.com they come in an inexpensive kit and can be installed without a plumber. And after using one of these you won't know how you lasted all those years with wadded up handfuls of toilet paper. Now we're talking green and helping the environment without any pain.
ReplyDeleteLove the liners product, Tysha! It's good to know it doesn't have to be as old school as the way my friends do it, bless their hearts. Maybe you can send me links about those products and I'll hook them up w/supplies for their new baby (born today).
ReplyDeleteAnd Jeff - whoever you are (probably a bidet salesman?) - my husband would love to switch to a bidet, we had one in Brazil, but I can just imagine the fun games my three boys would have with the always-plugged-in water gun that you're suggesting!!
Who blew my cover?! Yes I'm a "salesman" who believes he has the best product since sliced bread. I don't have children so I can't comment on anything that has to do with their discipline and toilet training but I can say that the entire population of Thailand manages to teach their children not to make a mess with these so I know it can be done. If you have a master bathroom you could consider installing one there only for you and your husband. I know you'd love it. Best regards, Jeff
ReplyDeleteTerribly cute post, Kerri!
ReplyDeleteKerri-
ReplyDeleteYou are forever in my heros halls for taking our kids and for doing cloth diapers!!! :) It had been my intention to get some disposables before the baby was born, but I had no idea he would chose 14 weeks early! You will be glad to know that we have had many gifts of disposable diapers given to us to benefit subsequent babysitters. Now, as for Naomi, I have no idea what to do with the stubborn three year old! Any suggestions?
My favorite things about this post is all the cloth diaper advice you got! :) Love ya lots and thanks a million!