January 6, 2009

Over the River and through the Woods...

...To Grandmother's house we go! Our first time at Grandma Golden's for Christmas since she became a grandma. Goodbye to Fruitland for a week... Heading out on a slow drive through the snow to Seattle. The boys held up pretty well, both there and back (which took even longer).
At my dad's place (Christmas Eve) we had a wonderful meal and the great pleasure of seeing my step-sisters.
It had been a couple of years since I'd seen either Aimee or her twin Becky - and probably 15 or so since the last time we were together for Christmas. Aimee is pictured talking to Sam, above. Charlie climbs on everything - including the new train tunnel. "All the world's a stage." He adored throwing balls and chasing the dog around, as well as hunting down the cats (so he could pet them). We forced everyone to listen to us sing Christmas songs before opening presents. Sam really wanted to sing "I Want A Hippopotamus for Christmas" but we didn't know the words very well. I've since downloaded it from itunes.
Christmas morning! Reviewing the stockings went much better than last year... Charlie tried to scarf down all his goodies before breakfast. He is lightening-fast at opening up chocolate wrappers. Good thing Santa put raisins in there as well!
So many great gifts! This musical Thomas the Tank Engine book has remained especially popular. Hugs all around...
Then time to get dressed for Uncle Dan and and others of my aunts and uncles coming over to Mom's for Christmas dinner (and more presents). Along with a Daft Punk CD, Sam gave Dan an amazing 3-page drawing.


Sam also had a running gag with my Aunt Sue. She kept teasing she wanted his (new) alligator shirt for herself, so finally he made her try it on to prove it wouldn't fit. He calls her "Stew" and just asked me if we could go back to her house today!
A couple days later, we got to spend a much-needed relaxing day over at Sue & Mike's place. My brother joined us. Just hanging with their dogs, reading, playing, eating. I think Sue is trying to make a tradition of a trip to her favorite used book store during each of our visits. Very fitting, since going to the library and walking to the book store are some of my most salient memories of my regular stays with Aunt Sue.
Dan hung with us almost every day of the visit. We are so thankful for his willingness to drive back & forth each day on the crummy roads. Our last evening we watched "It's a Wonderful Life" and played a raucus game of Sorry!
We checked WSDOT and ODOT before we left, of course, and there were no warnings - roads were clear! But curiously, once we arrived near Snoqualmie pass, we found flashing red signs with "CHAINS REQUIRED" and miles of cars and trucks pulled over. We thought we were stuck!
Luckily, or more truly Thank Heaven, we made it to the Summit Chevron station and they happened to have our size chains in stock. (This brings up annoyance I feel toward the professionals in Ontario on whose' recommendation I purchased chains that did not fit.)
The Cascades are beautiful in any weather. It always makes me a little sad to head east of them.

2 comments:

  1. You are so good to document your story with great photos. Love the one of the snowy mountain scene. Makes me glad I live in a warmer climate of Texas, though. I never did like the cold and snow!

    I am glad you are back home safe and warm. And that the snow chains worked. (I know what you mean about buying a product that doesn't work!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see some of the other photos - like at Sue's & your dad's. The video didn't work for me though..?? Said it was a private video. I love that you documented the whole trip with photos - even in the car. I never think to do that - at least not at the time!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.