New Year's Day 2009 I started out feeling overtired and innerly-whiny. Charlie woke up screaming bloody murder around 1:30 and we were up together until sometime after 3, when I passed him off to poor Mark, who went to the factory after breakfast not taking a nap or a holiday. (He took a whole uncomplaining week off for Christmas in Seattle -blog post to come - and I have resolved in 2009 to be more supportive of Posterity Pellets in every way, including laying off the guilt when Mark needs to work. He never complains, the saint.)ANYWAY, so I'm tired and in my head I had these moments of petty jealousies. Reviewing all the vacations I didn't get to go on the past year (Oregon coast was cancelled, no Europe, no Hawaii, no return to Brazil for the temple dedication), the hobbies I didn't get to devote much time to (no finished scrapbooks, piles of incomplete sewing and decorating projects)... And then, before too long, I recognized that I was comparing myself largely to friends w/o children or with lifestyles that in other ways I wouldn't wish to emulate. I started thinking of other things I "didn't get" such as lonely, or bored, or unappreciated. I realized that, despite my actions or moods, not a day of 2008 passed without me feeling needed, wanted, and loved. That makes a tidy cap to my first year of blogging, don't you think?
You can check out my sidebar, or other posts, for the kinds of things generally on "Best" lists, but for me this year there's just one thing: My Family.
Without further ado I present some of the best pictures from our 2008 Family Portrait session, credit to dear sis-in-law Val.







To wrap up this end-of-year wrap-up post, and in full humility, I am compelled to admit that I did get to go on vacation this year (to Arizona alone, Seattle twice, McCall twice, and to D.C./Virgina sans kiddos - one of the best vaca's of my life) not to mention the several times we enjoyed family or friends who traveled to see us; I did get to do some scrapbooking, and organizing of craft supplies in anticipation of future opportunities, plus got a camera and - duh - I'm blogging. Also I've done some decorating & sewing (painted rooms & cabinetry, made a Roman shade and throw pillows, etc.); I read a zillion books and participated in a book club, became the secretary of our local John Birch Society chapter, attended a Ron Paul rally, and enjoyed many church-related activities. So I really had no business with the inner-whining in the first place. But you knew that.
2008 was a huge year. Your boys have grown and developed by leaps and bounds. That is much to do with your patient tending. I know Mark has learned a lot about running a business as well. It is easy to compare ourselves with others (done it myself), until we look at the details of their lives and realize we would NEVER trade what we have. =) 2009 is looking great!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you found me on my blog! your family has changed soooo much since I last saw you! Keep in touch. :)
ReplyDeleteWhat lovely family pictures! Is it just me but I think your hubby looks a bit like Matt Damon! :-)
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year!
Wow, if you don't get anything done, I must be a snail.:) You blow me out of the water! (Or, I'm a snail.)
ReplyDeleteI know how you feel though. I look at some friends' blogs and feel a bit depressed at my lack of expanding horizons. Unfortunately, they are all top notch people so it's harder to explain away their awesomeness. However, they do have a few less children and haven't decided to keep them home all day to homeschool.
I guess what it comes down to is that we all do the best we can with what we have decided is important. I've decided to have lots of kids that never leave. That means my hobby is being in the bathroom alone for as long as possible. :) We should all be aware of our achievements!
What about your vacation (with out kids) to the east coast?
ReplyDeleteUm, DUH!! Post edited to include that awesomeness.
ReplyDeleteWhat a cute family you have - I'm amazed at all you DO do with 3 little boys to keep you running! :) Happy New Year and may those craft projects find a little time for you in the coming year :)
ReplyDelete