June 15, 2008

Fourth (and 59th) Birthday Bash

Isaac, Sam, and cousin Andrew drying in the sun
Our sweet Sammy was born just a few hours past his Grandma Dame's birthday. This year, with his birthday falling on Father's Day, we decided to do a super duper combo party at the grands with all the aunts & uncles & cousins we could find. In addition to us (minus Mark) and Grandpa & Grandma Dame there was Great Grandma Lula, Melanie and baby Hattie (visiting from UT), Val & Jonny with Abby & baby Luke, Lisa & Greg with their 4 kids plus 3 more cousins (from Greg's side) and his mom! So what did we do? Let's see...

Abby, Jonny, Isaac, Reed & Sam
To the surprise of too-logical adults, the kids wanted to go swimming (though the pool had only reached 72 degrees). Sam got on his new trunks and swim shirt (Isaac got one too - why did it take so long for these to be invented?) Notice the look on Abby & Sam's faces? Yeah, the water was cold. Didn't stop the Easton clan from trips down the slide & a second dip after cake.

Andrew in Spencer's trunks (circa 1989?)
Before (and after) swimming, Grandpa let the chickens out of the coop (remember those Easter chicks?) and the kids went a little crazy chasing them around the yard. We had a classic summer barbecue lunch with hot dogs, burgers, chips, fruit salad, potato salad, green salad, and 2 kinds of Jell-O salad. Croquet was set up. Isaac & Sam attempted a game with Grandpa and later I saw Greg playing with some kids... Consensus is that croquet is not really a kids' game.

Charlie hauling his mallet
Reed devised a treasure hunt to lead Sam to his present. The older children took turns reading the clues as they were found. Shortly after that gift was located, it was time for desert! I can't remember Sam actually eating any cake since his first birthday (he's all about three helpings of ice cream) so I made a couple pans of brownies (to go with the ice cream) instead. In retrospect, I should have just made Linda's favorite cake and stuck Sam's candle in his ice cream.


Lisa serving the brownies
Desert was followed by more (and some of the same) fun & games: swimming, Frisbee, chickens, inside toys, napping babies, chatting grown-ups. Charlie disappeared for a while - and then I found him in the chicken coop with Abby. I went running to get a candid shot of them but of course he saw me coming and they stopped what they were doing.

Charlie & Abby with the chicks
A second later Abby pulled a "Lucy" and let the door swing shut on Charlie Brown's poor head. Finally, it was present time. Sam was able to open all his presents himself this year, and he was truly thankful and polite to each giver; I was proud. He received a total of 6 trains, 2 tracks, 3 books, a puzzle, and 1 extra large jar of bubbles (with more presents to come from our family afar).

Blue-eyed Boy
Linda also opened her gifts, and Reed had a couple of Father's Day presents too. As everyone else left, I encouraged the boys to play with the new trains and read stories so that I could spend a little quality time with Melanie, who we rarely get to see.

Hattie & Mel
It was a wonderful birthday party, during which Sam was oft heard to say was not really his birthday and he would not actually be four until Sunday. (He must have become confused sometime in the night because at church today he alternated between telling people he already had his birthday and that his birthday was coming tomorrow.)

Happy time in Grandpa's "trap"
I am so grateful for the wonderful family we live near and the special time we spent together celebrating my silly, spectacular Sam and his generous, gifted Grandma.

4 comments:

  1. Supah! Thanks for getting those pics up so quickly. The boys just keep getting bigger - and maturing - so fast... and we just saw them! Guess you better watch that Charlie-boy, sneaking off with the chickens! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pose that Andrew made...classic! It was such a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for these pictures too! While it makes me feel sad to miss these type of events, I love to at least see the pictures. And you give me shots of the neices and nephews I never see! Abby is huge! Can't wait to see Charlie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, it's Lana (Woolstenhulme cousin). Love the pictures of all the family. You guys look wonderful! We're in AZ too, glad you got a chance to pop down here and enjoy the Biltmore! NICE!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.