March 13, 2008

The Where (and a little Why) of Happiness

I just finished reading this book titled The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner (pronounced "whiner," ironically). He is an NPR correspondent (he's covering the Spitzer case this week), but for once I didn't hear about this book on the radio - just found it in the new books display at the library. Anyway, the author traveled first to Denmark where there is a literal headquarters for all social science research on happiness. He was given full access to their database and from there globetrots to places of glee and even a little woe to try to figure out the "why" part of the answer... the "where" came from pulling from the data the list, rough as it is, of least happy to most happy countries. He takes the reader along on his anecdotal adventures of discovery in the Netherlands, Switzerland, Bhutan, Qatar, Iceland, Moldova, Thailand, Great Britain, India, and America. I'd categorize the book as more than just fluff, but not profound. Like popcorn: satisfying and somewhat good for you, but not a main course. (I'm actually stealing that comparison from Mr. Weiner himself - only he used it referring to an Indian guru's seminar.)

Anyway, let me share this little summary of findings from the epilogue (it doesn't spoil the story; they're all in the research at the beginning, and also fairly obvious):
Money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important. So are friends. Envy is toxic. So is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude.

Chew on that. (But not excessively!)

As an active church goer, I've got some happiness advantages. There is a built-in community of friends where we all believe that family comes first, we trust each other, and we are taught to openly share our gratitude. Nice!

Then there's the ol' unhappiness stalwarts, money and envy. An interesting thought the author brings up in regards to money: the prosperity in the U.S. has allowed us to test the money=happiness theory like never before. We have the means to buy whatever that next thing is that will make us happy. Guess what? Fifteen thousand dollars. That's the amount that (research has shown) below which sustained happiness is difficult. And they're not talking a $15K bonus, but that's it, period. Hmm. Guess the Beatles were right on. Well, not with All you need is love but at least Can't buy me love. And probably just listening to a Beatles album will bring you some happiness.

This book is not a socio-economic study. It's more of a travelogue with a socio-economic twist. Helped me to cross a few countries off of my "want to visit" list. And maybe add a couple. I'd love to get access to that database!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an interesting read. In grad school (before I quit!) we talked a lot about the research of does money=happiness? or how much? It was also interesting to note that my professors, all very weathered marriage and family therapists, had observed the most UNhappy people they had ever met happened to have the most money and the least healthy relationships with their loved ones. Interesting. I guess that puts me in a safe place - we will never have tons of money - but we will always be thankful for what we have!

    By the way, I think you are wonderfully articulate and I love that you share your insights!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.