
Here you can hike through the petrified remains of an ancient Redwood forest, see some of the animal and plant fossils found (through microscopes and on posters, etc), and earn a Jr. Ranger badge.
I think pretty much any highway you travel in Colorado is going to be scenic, but isn't it ironic that the most breathtaking views (everywhere) are always on stretches of road where you absolutely CANNOT pull over?! Here is an easily photographed view about 8 miles past a really gorgeous valley.
We continued on the 24 west til Highway 9 north, passing through the highest incorporated city of Alma, CO with an elevation of 10,500 feet. Then on through the scenic areas of Breckenridge, and also Vail (on I-70)... We spent the night in Grand Junction, hitting Utah on Day Fourteen.
We stopped in Provo to show the boys around BYU campus a little bit.
In the library, we discovered a special exhibit of early bibles that was really interesting. (Reminded me of a similar exhibit I saw at the British Museum in London.)
After the campus tour, we zipped up to the West Valley of Salt Lake City, to meet our friend Ion for dinner. And a little soccer.
We drove into SLC to see the new downtown area, but didn't even get out of the car (except me, at a stoplight, to grab an image of the iconic temple).
It was getting late and we wanted to get just a little more north before we stopped for our final night in a hotel.
After attending church at a chapel near the freeway in Ogden, we headed HOME. It was a little bittersweet driving past all the big beautiful Utah mountains without stopping to hike but there will be some other vacation for that, I suppose. We got home early enough on Day Sixteen to completely unpack and sort the laundry before dinner. Ah the sweetness of your own sheets at bedtime!






























Awesome travelogue, Kerri! I always feel like I went with you. thanks!
ReplyDeleteJust saying: the most amazing photos of mountains and scenery and little boys! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete