Hahahaha... Charlie has become very fickle about having his picture taken. He was not interested in having his own photo shoot and I only managed the final image in this post by much bribery. Thankfully I had a stockpile of previously unused Charlie pictures from throughout this past year. This year's birthday interview has been conducted catch-as-catch-can as well so it's not on video, but read on for all there is to know about my pickiest and most playful son.
Charlie says when he is a grown-up he wants to be a fire fighter, a dad, an astronaut, drive a garbage truck, and also do something on the stage (sing, dance, act). If you are placing bets, the biggest payout would be for anything involving organization/tidiness. He still tries to pull the "I don't know how" excuse about picking up his toys or finding where he left his boots, still throwing tantrums over it even. But with a little help from parents or brothers, he moves along to the next thing and is instantly happy. I'm expecting this to be the year he finally begins "using his words" when he's upset. When he's not upset (which really is most of the time) he is the giggliest, silliest, most playful kid!
What is his favorite game to play? In a word, pretend. He says: Fire Fighter, Bus Driver, Garbage Truck Man, Super Hero, Cowboy, Pirate, Bad Guy, House (where he will be the dad and all the various children as long as someone else is willing to play Mom). Another thing about "House", Charlie makes up the craziest names for everyone! Some examples are Air, Court, Steefy, Fordy, Aluga, and on and on with very few repeats. He also loves to build with Legos, and enjoys our train set, sometimes letting David play alongside. At preschool, his favorite activities are gymnastics (a once-a-week class), free play time, and acting out the Gingerbread Man story. If he's not playing or at school, he definitely wants to be watching something on Netflix or DVD. His favorite shows are The Backyardigans, Fireman Sam, Dora, Shaun the Sheep, and Veggie Tales. He also still loves Cars and Maters Tall Tales.
Yes, he continues to wear his fire fighter boots EVERY DAY (except Sunday). One boot has actually split in the back (this is his second pair) but I can't find a replacement and he doesn't care!
He wishes he could eat only these foods EVER: Cheerios, Life Cinnamon, granola, pancakes, waffles, apples, oranges, peaches, grapes, "cheesy sandwich", PB&J, chicken nuggets, and fish sticks. I'd say those are his favorite foods but that is really pretty much his only foods, except also oatmeal, French fries, crackers, yogurt, and anything made mostly of sugar. Seriously, if you see him eat something (healthy-ish) other than what's listed TELL ME because he refuses to ingest any kind of variety for us at home and I am getting worried.
Looking at it all together, I guess Charlie isn't big on variety in any aspect of his life. His favorite books are still Dr. Seuss, or anything about fire engines. His favorite song, he says, is "Wheels on the Bus" and also "I Belong to the Church of Jesus Christ" (this link is to a rock'n version, but same lyrics). He pretty much makes us sing that every week during Family Home Evening, as well as most nights before bed.
Charlie is a tentative reader now, which is exciting for us to have the tradition of early reading continue, and exciting for him to have the world of printed material open up. He still sleeps with the stuffed puppy I made him when he was an infant, but likes to have a toy bus or fire truck with him as well. He comes into my bed every morning for a snuggle before we get up together and make breakfast.
He is currently dressed up as a dragon while watching Phineas and Ferb with his brothers, and has requested "cheesy chips" with chocolate milk for lunch!





Brings tears to my eyes as I remember "Charlesbad Caverns"and all the other names we made up when he was so very little. So he pulls the "Idon't know how" trick like
ReplyDeletesam used to - or does Sam still do it too? lol Wonderful just wonderful. this is all so great!