November 7, 2011

Ira Glass and JSP

I've mentioned before that I listen to Public Radio. (I know that's a radical thing to do for someone so conservative, eh? See just try to pigeonhole me - can't be done!) Since getting my iPod a couple years ago, I am much more likely to listen to podcasts than the actual live radio, but I still do turn to our local NPR station and always feel compelled to contribute annually to their fundraisers. This year I contributed enough to get the awesome gift of two tickets to see Ira Glass live at the Morrison Center in Boise.
Don't know Ira? Well, he's the creator and host of This American Life (both the radio and Showtime versions), in the biz for 30 years (thank you Wikipedia). I was stoked to drag Mark to see him and expand his horizons to the witty, humorous, and poignant ways that Mr. Glass tells a story but he had a PermaCulture conference that same weekend. He was not too disappointed. I, however, was left to find someone who would appreciate what I had to offer. (Ahem, the extra ticket to Ira Glass.) Yeah... none of my local best buds knew who he was either.

Thus spawned my brilliant plan to shed some sunshine on a less close pal. Actually, a "friend" I made by following her blog (she homeschooled her boys and has an interior design business, is a totally great writer, and she's Mormon), then by discovering she lived near and becoming her Facebook friend. We had never actually met. This didn't really bother me because I made a good friend in a similar manner about 7 years ago. [That was Kim, who I met by posting in a Parenting chat room about expat births. We discovered we were both LDS Americans living in southern Brazil. We got our families together a few times back then and we got to stay with them during our big California adventure a couple years ago. She homeschools now too! And her blog is pretty great, just notes from her life but she is an awesome mom. Love you, Kim!]

Anyhoo, I emailed Jennifer (JSP for short) because a) I had a feeling she already knew and loved Ira and b) she had been posting about how rough a time she was having lately, feeling super alone. She was stoked about my offer, suggested we grab pizza at the Pie Hole first, and away we went. 
(Her cell phone image) It was really fun to get to know her better and now I know who I'm gonna call for help reorganizing the boys' rooms as we transition David out of our closet! Also got some great tips from Ira about being an artist, telling a story, and other podcasts to follow (Radiolab for one).
And thus ends my little plug of public radio, various blogs and podcasts*, and making new friends. You're welcome.

*A couple more favorites: Freakonomics (a good recent episode was about how education should be more like Pandora);  Fresh Air (hilarious interview with Jimmy Fallon replayed recently); Lew Rockwell (Libertarian) and Photofocus (photography), all available on iTunes.

3 comments:

  1. clever girl to "meet" a new friend. I feel so close to some of my facebook friends that I have never met face to face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it time for another Cali trip, yet? Miss you and your cute family. Isn't it crazy how we met? Crazy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah for NPR!!! (My mom seems to think I'm inactive because I enjoy such things as NPR! ;0)) And new friends!!! I met one of my (now) good friends on craigslist. I bought something from her; she happened to live across the street from me (in NYC) and we were both due with our first baby girls at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.