December 23, 2010

Christmas Card...

I kept dragging my feet on whether or not I wanted to mail out a Christmas card. Hemming and hawing about what picture to use (I knew I didn't want to use the fam portrait from July), and if it isn't just a bit of a waste of time and money when I can reach more friends and family for free on-line. BUT, I knew I wanted to at least put something together to send to our extended family with their Christmas presents. So first I asked Isaac & Sam to each write a message about what Christmas means to them. I wasn't sure exactly what I was going to do with it (maybe it would just be a homeshool writing exercise), but it was a start.

Enter: photographic inspiration. I realized that there was a small grove of evergreen trees just across the highway from us at the back end of the Fruitland Nursery AND they were beautifully covered in fresh snow AND I had bought the boys coordinating sweaters. So with promises of hot chocolate afterwards and mom being as quick as possible, I got the boys all dressed and off we went. The lighting was perfect and beyond the atmosphere the stars must have been aligned because in only 15 minutes I was able to get some beautiful images - just what I was imagining!
 

I came home and found a link I'd saved to this fabulous card company, PaperCulture, and created this wonderful Christmas card. But then I realized that, even if I used their very handy service of letting them stamp, address, and mail the cards for me, no one was likely to receive the card before Christmas. And I still had the conundrum on whether or not it is really worth the cost in this digital age. So I didn't have them actually create it. BUT, here is the proof, if you're curious.

In the end, I scanned in the big boys' Christmas messages, merged them with a couple of my favorite photos from the shoot, and sent that as our extended-family Christmas greeting. Here's what the boys wrote, for those who didn't receive:


I am so thankful that my children already know the true meaning of Christmas. They are such a light in my (and Mark's) life. What a joy to celebrate with them!

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your boys' Christmas messages! So great that their testimonies are strong already. On Sunday in primary as Sister Skeen was teaching sharing time with her scriptures, Sam was so enthusiastic to open his and get to the right place... asking "chapter what, verse what??". You have amazingly smart boys... kudos to you and Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet...from Lorrie Richins

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.