December 31, 2010

Happy Birthday David!

The morning of David's first birthday we sang to him, which he seemed to enjoy in his quiet-smile way.

I decided it was time for his first major haircut - time for him to be a big boy. (First I cut Sam's overgrown mop, then) I moved David's highchair to the bathroom and got out the clippers.
He was just fine - no crying - with the vibrating comb running over his scalp. (Might've had something to do with eating his first sucker.) I, however, shed a few tears. He was definitely not my same little baby anymore. It's been two weeks now as I'm typing this and I still haven't gotten over it - now wondering how long it will take to grow out and have him resemble himself again.

We held off having a party for him until Isaac returned from a ski trip with Grandpa (and Eastons), so it ended up quite nicely on New Year's Eve. Decorations were still up from Christmas with the addition of a few birthday balloons.
We did the candle-lit cupcake (and singing) first. He LOVED it!
Then we gave him the delicious double chocolate cake to eat... He wouldn't allow it past his lips! I've never encountered such a thing so we persisted for a while, attempting to give him tastes of just frosting or crumbs from our fingers, but he was adamant. 
We have since discovered that he has no such aversion to ice cream. It is fitting that the fourth child would somehow have the collected wisdom of his brothers, who all ate their first birthday cake with relish but have opted for ice cream only (or mostly) on all cake-and-ice-cream occasions since.

Sorry to have forced an ill temper upon him, we quickly finished our own cupcakes and set him to the fun business of opening his presents.
His brothers helped him open everything and play with his new things. We are thankful for the new clothes and toys he was given - and especially thankful that it's not much (with four boys, we are more about giving away than accumulating).
Then it was time for pajamas and bed for the kids and adult company for Mark & I to ring in the new year with.

2 comments:

  1. What great photos! You have really developed as a photographer this year, Kerri. Thanks for sharing all these moments with those of us who could not be there in person. You know how much I appreciate it. Love the shot of David and Sam - what eyelashes, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope I can age as gorgeously as you do Kerri!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.