September 8, 2008

Six

I went to Isaac's classroom to help them celebrate his sixth birthday: Store-bought treats, that had crumbled in his backpack (because I didn't have a babysitter until the last minute so I'd sent him to school with the cookies), he picked some prizes from Mrs. Lewellen's box, and they played "Heads Up, 7-Up." My contribution was to clean up two bottles of spilled milk and correct the kids if they couldn't remember whose thumb they'd touched during the game.

At home, I let Isaac open the present from Uncle Dan so he'd have something exciting to play with all day while waiting for Mark to get home and have his little dinner party. Dan sent him a Hot Wheels race track and a bunch of new cars. The boys (all 3) LOVE it!


After dinner, which was a bit late since I had to bring several crock pots of food to the church for a youth event first, Isaac opened the rest of his presents. Mark's Grandma Lula sends everyone in her family one dollar for their birthday. Grandma Dame was here to celebrate with us - she probably got the best reaction on first view of a gift. Isaac was completely stoked to see a (Melissa & Doug) model plane kit.


Isaac asked for a lemon cake so I found a recipe that turned it into a White Chocolate Lemon Cake, with white chocolate-cream cheese frosting. I'm no fancy-kid-cake decorator, but it did taste pretty good.

Isaac was a little disappointed that there were not more people at his party, so we explained that he'd be having lots of party-type fun all weekend when we went to McCall with the McCammons. Isaac is such a deeply rational child that this was perfectly acceptable and he instantly regained his happy mood.

My favorite moment of the day: When he was brushing his teeth at bedtime and I snuggled behind him telling him how precious and wonderful he is... and we talked about dimples for a minute (I showed him mine) and then he did his tight-lipped smile into the mirror. "Like two arrows pointing out," he said. I'd never thought of that! I asked him who told him his smile looked like that, "No one. I just told myself that."

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Isaac! Glad you made it to the school party after all. I hate the purchased snack rule! Yuck!

    Have a great time in McCall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will never think of smiles the same! Thanks for sharing the pictures. When we talked to him he was quite excited about having an extended birthday celebration. Kisses to the I-boy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this little boy! What a beautiful smile!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.